6.28.2009

Saltwater State Park

"The tide recedes, but leaves behind bright seashells on the sand.
The sun goes down, but gentle warmth still lingers on the land.
The music stops, yet echoes on in sweet, soulful refrains.
For every joy that passes,something beautiful remains." ~Unknown


Last Monday night I heard a report on the news saying that the tides were so low that they had to cancel several ferry runs. This got me thinking... I remember people telling me about a place called Salt Water State Park that has some great beachcombing. It was about a 20 minute drive away. So, Tuesday morning I woke the kids up and informed that our "field trip Friday" is now "Field Trip Tuesday". We got to the beach around 11:00 AM. The tide was very low. At home, Greta is a little obsessed with bugs. She catches them, holds them, plays with them... I knew she would love to see some little crabs. We turned over rocks to reveal little crabs running for their lives. If we stood really still, we could actually hear crabs moving all around us. When the crabs were boring, we walked a little further to find a Geoduck sticking out of the sand. When we walked closer to it, it pulled back into the sand a little bit, but still stuck out. I touched it and it squirted water at me. The next Geoduck we saw, I had Austin touch it with his foot. I got it on video. We had a good time at Salt Water State Park and learned a lot about the ocean.







2 comments:

Amy said...

I have never heard of a Geoduck before. That was so cool how it shot water out. WHat a fun field trip- you are a cool mom!

Nicole said...

I agree, very cool! makes me wish we could we lived near an ocean!