12.24.2010

Fair time!

"All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow." ~Grant Wood



Every year my kids wait for September to come. No, not because they're dying to go back to school, but because that is the time when new smells creep into our driveway. The smells are a mixture of fresh scones,cotton candy, hay, and horse manure. I've smelled these familiar scents at the same time every year my entire life. This is when we know it's fair time! The Puyallup fair is a pretty big thing around these parts. We usually go at least one full day. There are tons of animals to see and activities to do. There are a bunch of rides and games. But what's my favorite part of the fair you ask? THE FOOD! I can almost taste it now.

Please give me a moment...

Ok. Daydream is over. I usually come with a plan of what I'm going to eat. This usually includes hot fresh scones (the biscut ones) with raspberry jam, elephant ears, freshly made soft serve ice cream cones, roasted corn, fudge, and burgers piled with sauteed onions and mustard. Oh yeah. I'm drooling just typing about this stuff. When the fair is over, I feed my family salad for the next week to make up for the lack of nutrition I just exposed them to.

We took the kids this year and just let them lead. This meant we spent almost all day riding on rides and looking at animals. Now that I'm an adult, I like to wander around and look at all the collections that people have, the artwork, and the produce people have grown. I also like to visit the beekeepers society and dream of one day raising my own bees. There is a hypnotist show that's quite amusing that I like to see too. But, this year was the kid's year. For now I'll enjoy the fair through my kids eyes because I know that one day they will want to go with their friends instead of their parents.




No comments: