5.17.2009

Field Trip Friday!




"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science." ~Edwin Powell Hubble, The Nature of Science, 1954



For "Field Trip Friday" this week, we went to the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. What fun we had! My brother went a month or two ago and talked me into getting a year pass to the science center with him to split. Boy am I glad I did that! My kids LOVED it! We only got to see about 1/4 of the place, but we had fun.
My mom came with us, and she wanted "valet" parking. (she has a sore foot). We found some nice parking right at the Space Needle, and it was only $12 for 4 hours! Not too bad for Seattle parking, especially Valet!

When we got to the center, the ticket lady asked us if we wanted to see an Imax film. They're free with our pass, so I picked out a film called Under the Sea in 3D. The film was awesome. I would see it again and again. It was narrated by Jim Carrey. He's funny, did you know that? Even in a documentary he's funny. My kids kept reaching out for the fish. They kept the glasses on the whole time. At one point, Greta even pretended to swim through the movie. It was cute. 45 minutes long is the perfect length for my kids, too.

We also saw the butterfly exhibit. This was my favorite, and I think my kid's favorite too. It was awfully crowded, however. There were a few schools there. May is not a fun month for the Science Center or the Zoo. Too many field trip Fridays. Nevertheless, BUTTERFLIES EVERYWHERE! They flew right by our heads. They were right at our feet. Butterflies of every color and size. We were also able to see how they eat, and how they hatch from their cocoons. Very cool. I think the kids learned a lot.

The dinosaur exhibit was a little frightening to the kids. They didn't cry, but they were both clutching my hands and wouldn't get too close. I tried explaining to them that the dinosaurs were like big toys. They weren't buying it.

My only problem with the Center-- the food! They have a "cafe" there. It's more like going to a 7-11. No, it's worse. At least 7-11's have taquitos and slushies. Anyway, I learned next time to pack a lunch or go somewhere else for lunch.

After the Science Center, we walked around the Seattle Center area by the Space Needle. There was a big field with a "hill" for the kids to roll down. Greta can't resist a grassy hill. (I wouldn't even call it a hill, more like a slight incline, but it worked for them) There was also a big empty stage that the kids did a little dance on just for us. It was cute.


hh... Another Field Trip Friday down, so many more to do in the future! I really look forward to our Fridays!












1 comment:

Amy said...

That sounds like so much fun! My kiddos love stuff like that and Mesquite and it's surrounding areas are simply lacking. Hoe fun that you do Friday field trips! I think that is a great idea that I need to add to my agenda!