6.15.2009

Summertime food!

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato". ~Lewis Grizzard

This is a great recipe. It makes a ton. It's great for a potluck or party, but I make it just for us in the Summer and we feast on it for a few days. We eat it with bread for a complete meal. Even my kids eat it! Now, the best way to make this salad is to use fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. Mine isn't ready in June, so I had to settle for the grocery store.



“Epitome of Summer” Pasta Salad

1- 1lb. box Whole grain Penne Pasta (I like Barilla Plus) Cooked al dente
1 large handful fresh basil, chopped
2 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1 ½ c. mozzarella pearls (I get them at costco, about the size of a grape)
1/8 c. parmesan cheese
Pinch kosher salt
Pepper
Chicken. (I used 3 breasts halved and marinated in a little oil, garlic, and Italian seasoning, then grilled and chopped. I’ve also used a rotisserie chicken)
½ bottle Newman’s Own light Balsamic Vinaigrette

Mix all ingredients together with only ¼ of the bottle of dressing. Let it chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. Add the other half of the dressing before serving.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That looks so Yummy! I have been looking for a new recipe this week and you just helped me find it!

I am totally checking out the crazy coupon lady! What good food storage. I am sure you can afford a bigger house with all the money you are saving on food:)!